CNPS Forums  

Go Back   CNPS Forums > CNPS Public Forums > Great Wildflower Spots

Old 03-13-2012, 03:51 PM
Sandy S

Sandy S is on a distinguished road
Default Point Reyes

Spring birding and wildflower report for Pt. Reyes

I spent this past Sunday and Monday at Pt. Reyes National Seashore. The goal was to see early spring wildflowers. They are out and starting to bloom, but not in large numbers yet. The birds stole the show.

Spring Wildflowers are out. Abbott’s Lagoon has many species showing. Most numerous were Beach Strawberry and Sand Verbena. At Abbott’s Lagoon be sure to go out to the dunes and up to the headland south of the bridge as those areas had many of the best flowers.

As it was very windy on Monday we didn’t go to Chimney Rock, although I am confident flowers are starting to bloom there from the reports of others. We did go out to the hills by the lighthouse parking lot (behind the rest rooms) and found this the most flowery spot that we saw.

Birding highlights included seeing two Osprey in their nest near Inverness, two Northern Harriers doing courtship behavior at Abbott’s Lagoon, many ducks on Tomales Bay near Inverness, and a great birding morning at in the area behind Pt. Reyes Seashore Lodge where in less than a half hour there were many birds. At the Lodge we identified 23 species, were unable to ID a few more, saw two Wood Ducks, A Green Heron and Eurasian Collared Doves.

To see photos and detailed plant and bird lists go to: Point Reyes: Spring Wildflower and Bird Report
Old 03-14-2012, 01:21 PM
Forum Member

DanH is on a distinguished road

Hey Sandy, very cool report. Keep em coming. I wish I lived up there so I could check out some of those places you mention.