CNPS Forums  

Go Back   CNPS Forums > CNPS Public Forums > Plant Conservation Issues

Old 03-13-2012, 06:28 PM
Forum Member

PeterJWarner is on a distinguished road
Default Rare Plant Inventory -- Consistency Issue?

In preparing provisional rare plant lists for consulting work, I've noticed that my searches using habitat types do not yield consistent returns. For instance, a search for rare plants in coastal habitats in Mendocino and Sonoma Counties yielded Calochortus raichei and Eriogonum cedrorum (I suppose because I used North Coast coniferous forest as one habitat of interest), but this did not also yield several other rare taxa from the same habitat, e.g., Erigeron serpentinus, Asclepias solanoana. This has me a bit concerned about the Inventory's capability to provide comprehensive and consistent results, at least when using habitat types as a filter.

In addition, some of the nomenclature has been revised, but some has not, so the provisional list must now also be screened to be consistent with nomenclature as published in the Jepson Manual 2nd edition.

I presume the work of maintaining the Online Inventory isn't paid by CNPS (it should be compensated somehow), so I'm wondering if there's some way users, such as me, can assist in correcting inconsistencies such as these?
Old 11-14-2012, 01:13 PM
Committee Member

dlmagney is on a distinguished road
Default Conduct Floristic Surveys

Peter,
Without extremely complete occurrence databases, the problem you faced will not change. Your provisional list should be considered just a tool to help you pay close attention to certain genera (or species) during field work. However, the bottom line is that a complete floristic survey of your project site is the ONLY adequate survey method to determine what rare species are present. All botanical surveys for impact assessments or determining baseline conditions should be floristic in nature and follow CNPS (and CDFG) survey protocols.
In the meantime, identifying the problems with such tools as the Online Inventory will help CNPS improve it.
David Magney